23 May 2014

We’re Off to See the Wizard!

Greetings Simon Morris readers, last week reports suggesting that JK Rowling has agreed to the development of a Harry Potter theatre production set tongues wagging everywhere. Potter fanatics across the world wept with joy.

Growing up as a kid in the 90’s, of course I was a Harry Potter fan. I was obsessed. I remember the first time I got Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I read it non-stop until I finished (it took me two days) and I practically made my mum drive me to Waterstones at midnight to collect my pre-ordered version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Like any real Potter fan, I felt as though a hole had formed in my heart at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The Story of Lily and James
Naturally therefore, the news that my favourite book could be being brought to life via my favourite is probably the best news I’ve heard all year. The downside is that as far as we know, it’s not being turned into a musical. I can forgive that, because it’s freaking Harry Potter!

So what do we know so far? Initially, not much, but there are some things we do know. The leading choice for director for the project is John Tiffany, an accomplished professional whose production of The Glass Menagerie on Broadway clinched seven TONY award nominations.

We also know that this play won’t tell the story of Harry Potter. We’ve already done that and it seems that Rowling has no desire to retell an old favourite. Rather, she is going to go back to his parents’ generation. She is going to tell the story of Lily Evans and James Potter.

Simon Morris on Lily and James
In my opinion, Simon Morris readers, this is an inspired decision. There’s always been a curiosity about Lily and James in the Harry Potter fandom. We’ve never really known much, with the exception of a couple of scenes witnessed by Harry in the books, and a window into the lives of the people who created the Boy Who Lived could be a fine edition to the Harry Potter canon.

This once I’ll reluctantly forgive the fact that it isn’t going to be a musical (imagine the epic love show tunes you could get out of James years’ long pursuit of Lily). This hasn’t been confirmed but if it is, this play should be the stuff of legend and I’ll do all I can to be there opening night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment