1 May 2014

My Top Five Musical Theatre Anthems

Every time I get out my IPod and switch the player to my ‘musical theatre’ playlist, there are five songs that even now inspire something in me that nothing else can, and that’s why I believe they rise head and shoulders above the rest. That’s why this week I wanted to let you in on my top five musical theatre anthems!

A musical number is meant to inspire something inside you – whether it is pride, anger, fear, sadness, compassion, bravery, admiration etc. It’s supposed to make you feel something, and in turn make you believe in the character’s story and wish them well on the journey they are taking.

This is the basic criteria that I use to define a musical theatre anthem; it’s got to get you in the heart. So what are my top five of all time?


1) Defying Gravity: The all-time favourite has to be first act closer ‘Defying Gravity’ from Wicked. The song comes at a point where the carpet has been ripped out from under Elphaba, and you’re totally with her when she decides to say a big ‘screw you’ to the wizard and chart her own path. Plus the last bit of the performance, the rise up and the high note, is just spine tingling.

2) Don’t Rain on My Parade: A Funny Girl staple, ‘Don’t Rain on My Parade’ is similar to ‘Defying Gravity’, but it’s more hopeful. Fanny believes in the power of her love and her future and that, along with the bold passion littered throughout, has you standing up in your seat every time.

3) Don’t cry for me Argentina: The seminal classic from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Evita, ‘Don’t cry for me Argentina’ is a more subdued, reflective affair. It’s Eva taking the time to share her love and devotion with her people, and the sweeping nature of the tune makes you feel like you’re taking a stroll down memory lane arm-in-arm with Eva herself.

4) I’ll cover you (Reprise): For me the reprise of this classic love show tune is more powerful than its first turn because of time and perspective. You’ve seen just how strong the feeling is between Collins and Angel, and this heart breaking lament makes you feel as if you’ve lost your life partner right alongside Collins. You’re broken for and with him.

5) I Dreamed a Dream: What else can I say, Simon Morris readers, except to say that this song is exceptional. A lament which sees Les Miserables character Fantine express her complete hopelessness, you just want to hold her hand and let her know everything will be ok, even if it really won’t be for the troubled heroine of this musical masterpiece.

0 comments:

Post a Comment