7 January 2015

Gypsy Returns to the West End

You’ll be pleased you clicked onto the Simon Morris blog this week, as I have some mind-blowing news to share with you. Gypsy is coming back to the West End for the first time in 40 years!

The Greatest Musical to Ever Grace the Broadway Stage
I can still remember the day that a musical theatre enthusiast by the name of Simon Morris saw his first ever production of Gypsy.

It may have been raining outside, but that did nothing to dampen the joy that filled my heart by the time the curtain fell on Gypsy. A musical dedicated to telling the story of Momma Rose, a woman who travels across the US with her daughters in search of stardom on the Vaudeville circuit, Gypsy is often regarded as the greatest musical to ever grace the Broadway stage.

Kent and Staunton
That’s why I was so excited last month when Imelda Staunton took the time to announce that she’s set to star in a West End revival of Gypsy. The production is set to play at the Savoy Theatre for a limited run from the 15th April.

Directed by Jonathon Kent, this version of Gypsy is actually a transfer of a production put on at the Chichester Festival Theatre in Sussex. Furthermore, Kent and Staunton have also collaborated on Good People and Sweeney Todd, which also transferred to the West end after runs at the Chichester Festival Theatre.

“As Great a Performance in a Leading Role in a Musical as I’ve Ever Seen.”
According to the Evening Standard, Staunton suggested that she was thrilled to be given this opportunity, even if she finds taking on the iconic part in the West End somewhat “daunting.” She also noted that “I don’t have a life when I’m doing it,” suggesting she’s doing everything she can to shine in this behemoth of roles.

Kent certainly seems to think she is up to the task. The director commented: “She has an extraordinary voice that I think is anatomically impossible from that small frame. This is as great a performance in a leading role in a musical as I’ve ever seen.”

Any Chance to See Gypsy on Stage
Powerful words indeed. I personally think that considering the stature of the actress in question, the first revival of Gypsy to hit the West End in 40 years is sure to prove a colossal hit. Yet I honestly don’t care that much whether that turns out to be the case; I’ll take any chance to see Gypsy on stage!

0 comments:

Post a Comment